Database Web Hosting
There are many different types of Web hosting available. For the most basic Web sites, simple shared or free web hosting is sufficient. However, if you are a business that would like a fully functioning ecommerce Web site, then you might need what is known as database Web hosting. This type of Web hosting is necessary if you plan to expand to a point where retrieval and management is necessary. Database hosting also has the ability to include multiple programming languages so that you can properly develop your ecommerce Web site to fit your needs.
Database Web hosting involves using specific kinds of computer languages. These languages are meant to help manage your database system in a relational manner. Two of the main programming languages used for this purpose are:
1. SQL: This is a programming language that is mostly concerned with queries – or searches. If you want to have search and retrieval capabilities on your ecommerce Web site, SQL is necessary. SQL allows for data to be retrieved, inserted, updated and deleted. You can also use SQL to direct administrative functions.
2. MySQL: This programming language is often used with Web applications. MySQL runs as though it is a server itself, and provides access to multiple databases by multiple users. It has more than 6 million installations. MySQL is especially helpful for data storage functions, especially in terms of logging user data. Some of the biggest social media sites (Facebook, YouTube, Flickr) use MySQL, and Google makes use of it. MySQL is used popularly with PHP.
Both of these languages run on multiple platforms. However, they are different, and you usually need to choose which you will use. MySQL is usually less expensive, and has a performance advantage. SQL has an edge when it comes to recovery. In other respects, such as reliability, scalability and security, the two are virtually even
Determining if you need database Web hosting
Before you rush in to database Web hosting, it is a good idea to determine whether or not you actually need it. Here are some features of an ecommerce Web site that might indicate that you will need database Web hosting:
- Login pages and password protected areas of the site.
- Store locator.
- Security when offering different information to different users.
- Ability to rate products.
- Inventory fulfillment.
- Order history for clients.
If these are things you hope to include on your business website, then you probably need database Web hosting. In some cases, your ecommerce Web host can help you set up what you need. Make sure that you know exactly what you plan for your business site. It is important to be able to communicate your needs so that you are sure to get the Web hosting package that works best for you.
Choosing a database Web host
There are a number of options when it comes to database Web hosting. Microsoft SQL, Server, Oracle, Ingress, Sybase and Informix are some of the more popular names. Your Web host may use any of these platforms. Here are some of the things you should look for when deciding on ecommerce database Web hosting:
Reliability: You are a professional business. This means that your Web site needs to be up and running as much as possible. You need a reliable Web host that can ensure that your site has a large amount of uptime, and that it rarely crashes.
Speed: You want something fast. Customers are used to blazing fast speeds online now. They do not want to wait for a page to load. You need to find a Web host that can provide speed so that your entire ecommerce Web site loads at an acceptable rate, whether it is catalog search results or the shopping cart.
Support: You need a company that will offer superior support. In some cases, this may mean paying a little bit more. However, if there is a problem, you need to know that it will be solved quickly and competently.
Features: Find out what sorts of features are offered by prospective Web hosts. You want an ecommerce Web host that offers all of the features you want. Discuss your needs and expectations, and even get recommendations from other businesspeople you know.
Cost: This is definitely a factor. However, it is important that you do not sacrifice quality to save a few bucks. You will lose customers if you cheap out to a point where the business Web site has noticeable issues.
In the end, it is up to you to decide whether database Web hosting will suit the needs of your expanding business.Related article: Image and File Hosts